This can vary from person to person. Do whatever feels right for your body. This may change as you progress with your workouts. Here are some recommendations based on experience:
Beginner (0-6 month of regular workouts)
- Eat something light like a banana or a smoothie 45-60 minutes prior to working out.
- Eat a meal 30 minutes – 2 hours after the workout. The meal should consist of protein, carbohydrates, veggies, and healthy fats.
- Drink lots of water 3 hours-30 minutes before the workout, during the workout, and after your workout throughout the remainder of the day.
Intermediate (6 months-12 months of regular workouts)
- Protein shake after the workout
- If you workout at 5am or 6am have an 8oz glass of water prior to working out.
- If you workout during the day or evening eat your biggest meal AFTER your workout.
- Limit your carbohydrate intake to early and mid day. Taper as the day goes on.
- Have protein with every meal.
- Keep a water bottle with you at all times and drink water throughout the day.
Advanced (12 month or more of regular workouts)
- Workout fasted for optimal fat burn and increased growth hormone release
- Limit carbohydrate intake to post workout meal
- Eat mostly Paleo to stimulate ketosis (fat as fuel). Paleo (lean meats, fish, veggies, some fruit, tree nuts [not peanuts] and seeds, little starch, and no sugar. This excludes… grains, legumes, white potatoes, dairy, and corn)
- Drink plenty of water